I met a new client today who wants to lose seventy pounds and at her age of sixty-plus years this is extremely necessary for her in order for NBA news her to achieve health. Diabetes, heart disease and stroke are all knocking at her door and she would like to avoid that and lock the door on these complications forever.
At least that’s what I thought, since she took the time and effort to find me, made and apt and traveled a distance to see me but when we got into the pre-hypnosis interview, I quickly realized that this woman was in severe denial. She spoke of her love of fine foods and wine. She told me of her habits of drinking a half a bottle of wine at least five nights a week. Yes, I too love my wine and have been there in the past but after you realize that one glass of wine has over one hundred calories; your mind starts to calculate all of those yummy glasses. Hmmm… all those calories equals a lot of weight gain.
This lady continued to tell me that there is no way that she is going to give up her wine, especially when she has wonderful meals such as a nice steak dinner. Of course in my mind I was dumbfounded and wondered if this woman had ever in her life researched a healthy way of eating let alone a weight loss program. I was thinking to myself that in order for her to lose weight, she shouldn’t be partaking in a big steak dinner let alone imbibe in a half bottle of wine in one sitting but she was holding steadfast on her wine intake and choice of meals. I was getting the idea that getting her to change her diet was going to be like pulling teeth!
Mrs. X (I’ll call her) then proceeded to tell me her idea of going to Weight Watchers, which I thought was a great idea since I knew many people who have stuck with that program and have seen wonderful results. I think that the support of Weight Watchers along with the hypnotherapy would be a win, win recipe and I was starting to see a light at end the tunnel with this woman… but that wasn’t long lived as she continued with the fact that she wouldn’t actually attend meetings, or weigh any food or even count calories. Huh?! I’m not sure what she thinks this program let alone hypnosis is going to do for her if she isn’t going to embrace the process and practices.
OK People, here is some revolutionary news: You have to make a lifestyle change in order to lose weight! I didn’t think this news was that new but obviously not everybody has heard it.
It’s simple really, in order to lose weight, your body needs to burn more calories than it takes in… and that’s that. You must reduce your calorie intake and move your body if you want to be rid of the fat. Of course, this can be much easier said than done, especially if your subconscious mind has been self-sabotaging you. There are some simple things you can do to make the process easier:
- Broach your mind: Your subconscious mind plays a major role on if you will be able to lose weight and keep it off. Learn self-hypnosis techniques in order to ‘reprogram’ the beliefs that your subconscious holds that are keeping you from losing the fat. If the subconscious holds lies about your weight, then there is no way you will be able to keep weight off until these beliefs are replaced.
- The obvious: Cut back your caloric intake and start to move your body!
- Only eat while sitting at the table. Turn off the TV!
- Really research current knowledge on what a healthy diet is, including portion size!
- Manage stress and get plenty of sleep.
- Keep a diet and exercise journal in order to recognize problem areas.
- Address Depression and Anxiety: Visit a psychotherapist or hypnotherapist.
- Find a support group or consider Hypnotherapy to help you achieve your goals.
- Walk instead of driving. Use the stairs instead of the escalator.
- Even household activities can help you move your body, i.e.: vacuuming & Gardening.
So, take your health into your own hands. Take responsibility for your own actions… and inactions… and CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE!